Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Telling Time 2.MD.7 A.M. and P.M. and a Freebie!

We have been working on telling time this week.  When we got to the a.m. and p.m. part, they had a hard time understanding it.  So, I came up with a time line and we all drew the time line and drew pictures to help us remember and understand.  Here are a few of the pictures that they kids drew. 


 
We started by putting 12:00 noon in the middle.  Next we put 12:00 a.m. all the way to the left.  Then we put 12:00 p.m. all the way to the right.  Then we talked about things that we do in the a.m.  When it is still dark and 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 a.m. we are usually asleep so we drew a moon and stars and a bed.  We talked about how we brush our teeth, eat breakfast, get dressed and go to school in the a.m. so we drew those things too.  We talked about how we eat lunch around noon.  On the p.m. side, we drew a lunch box, a sliding board for the playground, and a bus that we would ride home.  We talked about after school activities like baseball, soccer, dance, football or basketball.  We added those and dinner, homework, bath time and bedtime.  They loved drawing pictures and using this timeline really helped them understand a.m. and p.m.  I decided to make a timeline so that I could keep it because I'll forget it by next year when I teach this again!  So, I've attached it here for you for free.  Also, I can come back to my blog next year when I forget where I put my copy! Haha.  So if you want the time line it looks like this:
Ok, so I know that a.m. and p.m. stand for "ante meridiem" and "post meridiem".  I told the kids this but we came up with our own words that were easier to remember.  We thought that a.m. could mean "all morning" and p.m. could be "past morning".   If you want to download the free copy,
click HERE!  I hope it works for you.  Let me know what you think!
Sharon
 

1 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon! I am teaching telling time to my 2nd graders right now and I came across your resource! I LOVE this idea and I would love access to your freebie! I sent you a request access when I clicked on the link.Thanks so much for sharing student sample work as well! AM/PM is really hard for my students as well and I know they will love making a timeline of their own day!

    ReplyDelete