Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

Money 2.MD.8

I love teaching my students how to count money.  We started our unit today.  I asked the students why it was important to be able to count money.  Their responses were so cute!  This is one of my favorite things to teach in math.  I begin by introducing the penny.  We tell everything we know about the penny and then I show them my anchor chart.  It looks like this:
 
The kids have a bubble map in their student book too.  It looks like this:
 
Next I introduced the dime.  I knew that we could count pennies and we have been counting pennies all year long in our morning math routines.  I'll tell you more about that later.  So, I knew that they were ready to count dimes.  Here is the dime anchor chart. 
The kids wrote in their book . 
 
Next I gave everyone a money counting mat and a bag of coins.  You can download the money counting mat free from my Teachers Pay Teachers store.  Click HERE!   
 
I copied it on white construction paper and laminated them.  They have really lasted too.  Mine are three years old now. 
 
I told the kids to get their dimes and pennies out of their coin bag and sort them onto their counting mat.  This mat really helps when we add quarters and nickels as well. 
So I gave the students several different amounts to show me on their mat using dimes and pennies.  I reminded them that the dimes are worth 10 just like the 10's stick in base 10 blocks and the penny is just like the ones cube.  They immediately made the connection!
 
I always teach my kids to SLIDE the coin over as they count it so they can be sure to count each coin only one time.  ALSO...I constantly remind students to put base 10 blocks and now coins in rows of 5 just like a ten frame. 
Next we went to our math journals.  We glued in our money flap book. 
 
 
 
I had students fill in the penny and dime flaps today.  We will practice counting dimes and pennies again tomorrow before I introduce nickels. 
 
The student book that I used is in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.  It is a three week unit to teach counting coins and solving word problems using money.  It looks like this:
It includes lesson plans, a student book, student homework and 3 quizzes.  I also have included the money counting mat and coins to copy and use if you don't have practice coins for students to use.  You can go to the unit in my store by clicking HERE!
 
Do you all have any unique ideas that you use when you teach money?  I would love to hear from you!  Happy Counting!!
Sharon
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment