Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Classroom Management-10 Ways To Keep Your Sanity




My district started school on August 24 so my students and I have had three weeks to get to know each other, learn the rules and procedures and settle into this school thing.  I seem to forget from year to year how much attention I have to pay to rules and procedures; classroom management.  So the excitement has worn off of the "new" school year and now we are down to business.  Let me tell you, it can be exhausting.  So, I've come up with 10 ways to keep my sanity!!!  I hope that you find these helpful too!  We all need reminding, so here goes:

1.  Believe in you.  You have trained for this. Unless you are a first year teacher, you have done this before.  We bring our students a long way during a school year and we  remember how we ended last year.  Routines were easy, everyone knew what to do, when to do it and how to do it.  We are starting over.  Just remember, this is you thing!  You were made for teaching!  You can do this!

2.  Repetition:  I tend to forget exactly how many times I have to repeat rules and procedures.  It seems like at this time of the year, I am constantly repeating.  Repetition is what the students need.  We have to repeat these things for several weeks until they come naturally to our students. 

3.  Don't Stop!: It seems that there are so many things to remember and reinforce that we sometimes forget things.  This happens, but stick to your plan!  If it is a rule, you have it for a reason.  If it is broken follow your plan of consequences...every...single...time! 

4.  Don't Stop!:  I know, this is number 3 but it is worth repeating!  Stick to your plan, don't play favorites and don't stop!  We must be firm, fair and CONSISTENT!!

5.  Not All Days Are Created Equally: We have all had them.  Days where nothing goes as planned.  Something as simple as "It's picture day!"  can throw your students into a spin.  Try to stay on schedule as much as possible and know that the more you can stay with your routine, the better the day will be. 

6.  Routine, Routine, Routine!:  I can't say enough about keeping a routine when possible.  I post a daily schedule on my calendar so that students know exactly what is coming.  Students do not know that they need routine, but believe me, it makes everything easier....everything!!!  I believe that once you have the routine down, the classroom pretty much runs itself....a well oiled machine! 

7.  Step Back, Take A Breath! : Even with our best efforts, we will become frustrated.  Step back.  Take a breath.  Drink a coke!  Eat some chocolate.  This day will pass.  That student will get it,...or not but just know that you are making a positive difference in the lives of these students! 

8.  Treat Yourself: We have a difficult job.  We deserve to treat ourselves....manicure, dessert, new pair of shoes, anything that will lift your spirit.  We have 180 days to be on top of our game.  We need to "refuel" often!!

9.  Give Yourself A Break:  Don't bring work home every night.  Don't bring work home every weekend.  You need a break.  Put some things on hold if you can.  You will be refreshed and ready after a break. 

10.  October Is Coming:  In my personal experience, things do not settle down like I want until October.  It normally takes that long of practice, routine, practice, practice and practice.  It seems like I can finally relax a little bit.  Rules have been learned, procedures come easily, students know that "I mean it!" and we can settle into a happy family...hopefully!  So friends, hang on.  October is coming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment